Monday, May 3, 2010

Hats


As many of you know this last Saturday was the Kentucky Derby. Every year my family chooses horses to see who can pick the winner. It is our one great family tradition. This year I thought it would be fun to add to that tradition and have all the women in the family make their version of a derby hat. Take a look at all the entries and please vote on your favorite. My mother has a wonderful prize for the winner.

I went for a rose theme. All the roses are from my back yard and the feather is just a nice added touch.


Sophie went for bigger is better.

The horses must have put Sondra and Kathleen in a cowboys and indians mood.


My beautiful mother. What a lovely sight.



Poor Mindy. She was very very sick but still made her hat.




My niece Colette. I'm not really sure the meaning behind the chef hat.




My other niece Chelsea. She is on vacation in Hawaii. Can you tell?
What do you think? Who should the winner be?






13 comments:

  1. Well this is very difficult. I sort of hate to say it, but Nancy's is my favorite. I like the whole grow-your-own hat thought and it is the run for the roses. (She is only getting my vote since I feel it would be unfair to vote for myself.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I vote for Sophie! I'm all about bigger is better. Go Soph!! I love how colorful it is and that it is a great mix of everything Derby...from feathers to flowers. I really do like Nancy's too but I'm going with my beautiful niece. Hope you win you cute girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Max says: Grandma all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My vote is for Bonnye, but I am curious, what is up with Tonto and Sitting Bull?

    ReplyDelete
  5. My vote is for your hat Nancy... I really like how it symbolizes the run for the roses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is tough! They all show such wonderful creativity and top notch design skills.
    Mindy's is the most unique and made me laugh, Son & Kathleen have some deep hidden meaning, Sophie's is sooo wonderful with all the color and combo of feathers & flowers but I think I have to go with the Derby Queen herself. Fresh home grown roses for the Derby is just too hard to resist.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel like I should vote for Mindy because of her effort but I have to go with Sophie. Bigger is always better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am going to have to vote for Sophie, no bias here :-)

    Sophie's dad

    ReplyDelete
  9. I vote for aunt mindy. She actually MADE a hat even though she was ill. Her picture is too funny too.
    Grandma, our hidden meaning is that Mom and I couldn't find anything better than ryan's halloween costume. Thanks mom for posting the best picture we took.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am voting for Chelsea. She looks like a true derby goer, however I didn't know the seahorses were running. Sophie gets honorable men. S & K what were you thinking?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I vote for Sophie because my kids mention her in their prayers!!! Best babysitter ever!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So I guess I can't vote for your mom? I really love her hat. But next in line is yours I think. It actually looks like a real hat, and the fact that they are real roses is awesome! Love the feather too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. mindy...forsure..

    ReplyDelete