I don't really enjoying baking. I am more than happy to cook but baking is just not my thing. Every year for Daniels birthday I go to HEB and pick up a cake so we can sing to him. This year I tried something new. A few weeks before Daniels birthday we went next door for Alison's birthday. Her mother-in-law, Peggy, was cooking dinner. She is a really good down home cook so I never pass up a meal she has made. She made chicken and dumplings and carrot cake for dessert. It was all wonderful but the best part was the cake. Daniel and I both loved it so I thought I am going to go out on a limb and make this for his birthday.
The cake wasn't very hard to make and it would have been even easier if I had all the ingredients. As I started to make it I realized I didn't have any flour. Then I didn't have any baking soda because Daniel had put it all on my car battery. After I got it all mixed up I needed to pour it in 3 round cake pans. Guess what, I only have two. After I got it in the oven I started in on the frosting. Holy Cow! It took 3 bricks of cream cheese and I only had one. By the time I got done Alison had given me half the ingredients and the pans to bake it in.
To top it off when I tried to get the cake out of the pan half of it stuck to the bottom. Oh well, nothing a bunch of cream cheese frosting can't fix.

when Sophie saw it she decided it needed a little help in the decoration department. Of course I didn't have any good decoration so she spelled out Happy Birthday Dad in pecans. It did improve the look of the cake.

We took the cake next door and sang happy birthday. Daniel has some weird thing about blowing out candles because he thinks it gets spit all over the cake so he claps to blow them out. Weird I know but it does work.

After all was said and done the cake was really good and every bit was eaten. I think I would even try making it again as long as I actually had all the ingredients.
Hmmm....it usually is a good idea to have some flour around when making a cake. I'm glad it turned out good.
ReplyDeleteHooray for baking!! :) Please let Dan know that I LOVE his idea on clapping and will now do that for every birthday I have from now on. That's such a fantastic idea! (I hate germs!!!) :)
ReplyDeleteI'm glad it tasted good because it looked pretty ugly. Thank goodness for Sohpie and the pecans!
ReplyDeleteI just know that cake tasted good! But I have to say that I was certain that any daughter of mine would have lots of flour on hand since you grew up with a mom who actually likes to bake. The best part is that everybody liked it and you had a lot of fun-----a memorable birthday for Dan and an interesting post!
ReplyDeleteYes....that was funny! BUT - I missed the clapping part....where was I?
ReplyDeleteI'm a big fan of Carrot cake. Mind sharing the recipe, or making it for me next April for my birthday? :)
ReplyDelete